These are hearty little cookies that give you a bit of fiber, protein, and some healthy fat. They have a warm, comforting flavor that may remind you of a cross between an oatmeal raisin cookie and a bite of soft granola. With the oats, whole wheat flour, and wheat germ, they are deliciously chewy and take a while to eat; I liked that I couldn't just pop one in my mouth, one right after the other.
These are not ooey-gooey or decadent or overly sweet, and they're not meant to be. Energy Cookies are tasty, filling and satisfying, and may be just what you need to give yourself or your kids a healthy treat.
These cookies travel well, so take them along on your winter adventures!
Energy Cookies Printable Recipe
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup rolled ("old fashioned") oats
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. Combine the flour, wheat germ, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir to mix well. Set aside.
2. In another large bowl, cream together the coconut oil, butter, brown sugar, honey, and peanut butter until very smooth. Blend in the egg and vanilla.
3. Stir the flour mixture into the creamed mixture until well-combined. Stir in the oats, raisins, chocolate chips, and nuts. The batter is very thick at this point and will give your arms a healthy workout. ;)
4. Cover and refrigerate for an hour.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Using an 1/8 cup (2 tablespoons) scoop, shape chilled dough into balls and flatten slightly. Bake on prepared cookie sheets for 10 to 11 minutes, until cookies are just barely starting to brown. They will be soft to the touch. Do not over-bake. Cool on cookie sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely.
Store at room temperature in an airtight container. These are actually better the next day, and keep well for several days.